Friday 31 August 2007

Poetry With Young People

When I was in boarding school, we had a poet come stay with us - Gieve Patel. He made us listen to poetry and inspired us to write some too.
The following two poems are mine which were recently published in a book called Poetry With Young People, edited by Gieve Patel.


My Mother Before Her Morning Cup Of Tea

The eyes flash,
Like a lighthouse,
Against the expose of (her)the cheeks,
Her breath comes out short and fast -
A sea about to erupt from her bed.


Trapped

I stared at myself in the mirror,
Wanting to free (me)myself,
Yet, as hard as I tried
to peel off the layers
accumulated,
I couldn't;
(I was) Trapped
By my own biases,
And those of my peers.



These are the edited versions of the poems. The originals are slightly different but I felt and still feel that it makes all the difference. The brackets indicate what I had written originally.

No comments: